History of the Lodge

Work was heavy in those days, so many were clamouring for admission. But everybody worked hard.

And so it continued until 1962 when the lodge moved to Herford and were helped by ZurRoten Erde.

It was at a meeting one day in 1974 that the lodge welcomed Bro. Ernst Luckel back into the fold, who through heavy business commitments had been unable to attend lodge on a regular basis. It was then that movement was made to return to Bielefeld. The brethren of Zur Rote Erde had been wonderful hosts but most of the brethren at that time were stationed in and around Bielefeld. It was on one sunny afternoon in May of that year that W. Bro. Ossie Smart, W. Bro. Freddy Jones and Bro. Keith Hoile rolled up their sleeves and moved the whole of the Britannia Lodge furniture to the Lessinghaus. And so they were back in the temple where Britannia was founded that wonderful day in 1957. Over the years we have had some wonderful ceremonies. Of special mention should be the 25th Anniversary when W. Bro. Jimmy Faint returned to the lodge and took his rightful place as Master for the ceremony on that evening, which was a first degree with Bro. Wilf Button being initiated. Jimmy Cloke read the minutes of the first meeting an evening that will never be forgotten. W. Bro. Jimmy Faint passed to the Grand Lodge above on 11th February 1985. Another unforgettable evening was when Britannia Lodge No. 18 of Ponoka, Alberta, Canada gave us a wonderful demonstration working of the third degree. (W. Bro. John Simmons will certainly never forget it! He was the candidate.

Several of our Past Masters have returned to the UK but all keep in touch.

In 2004 V.W.Bro. Owen (Ossi) Smart, who became Past Grand Warden in 1995, completed 30 years as Lodge Secretary. In January of that same year he was given three heart by – passes, after which he returned to carry on with his devoted secretarial work.

 

Owen Smart 1923-2014

Lodge Historian

Print Print | Sitemap
© Michael Beaumont