In 1955 there existed what was known as The Association of British Freemasons in Germany. This consisted of small groups of people who met clandestinely and tried to keep in touch with Masonic workings and fellowship, but their main means of contact was by small cards placed on notice boards, with a square and compass cipher and a few words stating that persons interested should contact “so and so. It was at this time that W. Bro. Jimmy Faint was introduced to one of these groups at Herford (this was early in 1956) and was asked to take over a sort of Preceptor or Advisory role. He found that everyone taking part in the ceremony rehearsals was reading from the little book. He soon put a stop to that and they soon became a very close knit little working group of interested people.
This continued till the late summer of 1956 when, after various requests and enquiries from similar groups spread over Germany, about 150 travelled to Munchen-Gladbach one Sunday morning. They met in one of the RAF canteen buildings, and were introduced to Dr. Vogel, who was the Grand Master of the German Constitution. They then put forward their plea for permission to form lodges under his jurisdiction.
He listened most sympathetically and after prolonged correspondence with the UK Grand Lodge their plea was granted and they were given permission to go ahead.
Time went by and enquiries revealed that in all Germany there were only three Past Master of the E.C., namely W. Bros Lawlor, Bland and Faint. They decided to go ahead with the hope of eventually starting lodges as follows: one in Dusseldorf, one in Celle and one in Bielefeld.